I love cake. But who doesn’t? I love me some chocolate cake too. However, I just had a baby and she doesn’t tolerate dairy very well in my breast milk, so I have gone dairy-free. It was a hard adjustment, but after about two weeks, it wasn’t so bad. But man, I do miss dairy. It is literally in everything!
The thing I missed the most was sweets. Like bakery sweets, cookies, cakes, cupcakes, scones, doughnuts, anything with sugar and carbs. I came across this recipe that is cake without dairy and I was so freaking excited. But, I was also skeptical. However, I read lots of comments about how good it was.
Apparently, this cake was made during the depression when supplies were hard to come by. How good could this cake be without butter or eggs?
Let me just tell you…..it is seriously so good. It is the kind of cake you taste in your day dreams when you are craving cake. It is moist, chocolatey and delicious. Like for reals. The other awesome part is that I just threw all the ingredients in my 8 inch pan, mixed together and threw it in the oven. No unnecessary dishes to wash!
If you have an allergy, your kids have an allergy, or you cut out dairy or eggs for breastfeeding, or really, you just want a good cake, this is the one. So easy and so good!
- 1 1/2 Cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 Cup sugar (Granulated Pure Cane Sugar)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix first 5 dry ingredients in a greased 8" square baking pan. Make 3 depressions in dry ingredients - two small, one large. Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in the second and the vegetable oil in third large depression. Pour water on top. Mix well until smooth. I used a whisk.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. Cool. Top with your favorite frosting.
Want a dairy-free frosting recipe, go to Oh She Glows for a great recipe here!
Latest posts by Erin Kennedy (see all)
- Carrot Raisin Bran Muffins - January 4, 2017
- Watermelon Kiwitini – Girl’s Night In – #Mixedwithtrop - November 18, 2016
- How to Make and Store Homemade Baby Food - October 13, 2016
- Creamy Skillet Lasagna Pasta - September 8, 2016