I crave ice cream year round. Even on the coldest of days I will sometimes find myself think about my favorite ice cream. For as long as I can remember I have loved strawberry ice cream. I can remember when I was little going to the grocery store with my mom as her “helper”. She would always let me pick out a small little pint container of whatever ice cream I wanted. Every time I reached for the same thing. Not the crazy moose tracks, or candy filled ice creams…no, no, I always picked out homemade vanilla with strawberries by Blue Bell.
Now all grown up and married to a guy with a bad cholesterol family history I find myself trying to come up with healthy and yummy ways to eat my favorite treats. So all you ice cream lovers out there trying to become a little healthier, this one’s for you! Simple, yummy, and satisfying homemade froyo.
This recipe requires an ice cream maker, and a little bit of time. BUT the outcome is creamy and so delicious you will swear you are eating real ice cream, so it really is worth the time spent. I chose to add in a mango along with the strawberries for a little extra tang, you can take this a step further and also add a little lemon juice if you want it to be very tart. I used honey as my sweetener but you could use regular sugar or really any sweetener that fits your fancy.
- 1 quart low fat regular yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey (or other sweetener)
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled, sliced
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *ice cream maker needed
- Combine yogurt, honey, vanilla. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender combine strawberries and mango chunks until pureed. Add to yogurt mixer. Stir to well incorporate.
- Add to a frozen ice cream maker (I use the kind with the bowl that has to be frozen before hand). Churn for 30 minutes. Pour mixture into a bread pan or other container with large top opening. Let freeze for 2-3 hours.
- Serve with fresh berries, and enjoy this guilt free treat!