I love Turkey. In fact my favorite food is turkey sandwiches. Literally, any way you slice it (pun intended.) I can eat any type of turkey sandwich that is hot, cold, on sliced bread, or hoagie. Around Thanksgiving, my husband knows that I will be eating turkey sandwiches for the next week, so we always be sure to buy a little bit bigger bird than we would normally.
I had heard of this recipe before, but I had never tried it. I was planning a brunch last weekend and had quite the invitation list and I also wanted to wow my guests with something hearty and also something they had never had before. I also wanted it to be relatively easy so I could bust out a bunch of hot sandwiches at once, and they would still be warm and gooey when it was time to serve.
I have made plenty of turkey sandwiches, but these had a twist or two. First, I decided to go to my local supermarket and ask the deli to shave their already cooked turkey breast cutlet. I love the deli turkey, but I wanted a turkey breast that was shaved like deli meat without being deli slices.
I also was going to drench the sandwiches in a brown sugar butter sauce that was equally salty and sweet. But not too sweet. The brown sugar adds just enough. You can use any type of cheese you would like, but I personally love Havarti. It is mild so it doesn’t overpower the sauce, and creamy.
Let me tell you. These sandwiches were beyond a hit! I have request right and left for the recipe. If you have a big event coming up where you are providing the food. Or just need a yummy dinner this week. These turkey cutlet sandwiches will do you no wrong. Try it with the cutlet. It really does make a difference. This is my unexpected turkey sandwich and I couldn’t be more pleased.
Delicious, versatile and available in a variety of cuts, turkey is naturally low in fat and provides immune-boosting nutrients like iron, zinc and potassium. It’s also packed with lean protein to keep people feeling full longer and satisfy their appetite for health and fitness.
- 3/4 lb shaved pre-cooked turkey breast cutlet
- 8 slices Havarti cheese
- 8 rolls or 1 pkg or King's Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dried mustard
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp dried onion
- Pre-heat your oven to 375. Butter the pan you will use. Cut the rolls in half and set the top aside. Layer with cheese, then layer with shaved turkey, then one more layer of cheese. Top with top buns. In a saucepan add butter, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, dried mustard, sesame seeds and dried onions and mix until combined.
- Pour entire mixture over the rolls and cover with foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Latest posts by Erin Kennedy (see all)
- Peach and Macadamia Nut Muffins with Streusel Topping - April 10, 2017
- Elderflower Cocktail: Drinks With the Girls Spring Edition - March 28, 2017
- Hot Shaved Turkey Cutlet Sandwiches with Brown Sugar & Butter Sauce - February 21, 2017
- Carrot Raisin Bran Muffins - January 4, 2017