Chocolate chip cookies receive a makeover just in time for Christmas! These Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies include crushed candy canes and a sweet topping.
Do you have a go to cookie recipe you make every year?
For my mom, it’s Sea Foam Cookies. For my cousin, it’s Fruit Cake Cookies. For me, it’s Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Ever since I was a little girl I was fascinated by this flavor combo. I made these for my birthday in 5th grade (although I overbaked them a little!) & they are always the cookie I leave for Santa!
This version is slightly updated with your choice of icing or white chocolate.
Here are some tips for perfect cookies:
- Crush candy canes in a food processor. Strain extra ground candy canes.
- Make small batches of cookies. This helps all the cookies bake evenly.
- Don’t handle the dough too much. This can cause unequal cookie quality.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate
- 1 tsp canola oil
- - or -
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- In large bowl, use a fork to combine brown sugar, sugar, canola oil and vanilla extract. Add cashew milk.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Once combined, fold in candy canes and chocolate chips. Roll dough into 24 equal balls. Flatten slightly on baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Once cool, melt white chocolate and stir in canola oil - or - mix together powdered sugar and water. Spread over cookies and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.