January is here and with it comes a busy new year. We all have things in our life that keep us from eating healthy. Those things that require we eat on the go, scarf it down, and then run right back out the door. Or worse we have to eat it in the car after going through the drive thru. So I’ve set out to come up with a few quick and easy meals that can get us through the busy days and out of the drive thru. All of them will be done in 30 minutes or less, all of them will be healthy, and all of them will be done in one pot – because doing dishes is unacceptable. For the first one, I’ve got one pot 30 minute shrimp alfredo!
- 8 oz fettucine
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. low fat milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 12 oz peeled & deveined cooked shrimp, tail-off
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups zucchini (or your vegetable choice)
- Parsley for garnish
- 1.In a large skillet over medium heat warm olive oil. Saute garlic for 1-2 minutes stirring, until fragrant. Stir in flour. Slowly whisk in chicken broth until smooth and then milk. Stir in salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon.
- 2.Bring mixture to a boil and add fettucine and zuccini to skillet. Simmer for 15 minutes stirring throughout. Add shrimp and continue to simmer 5 minutes or until pasta is cooked through and shrimp is warm.
- 3.Stir in Parmesan and garnish with parsley.
My favorite part of this is that it includes veggies! So the entire meal is right here in one pot and thirty minutes. Don’t like zucchini!? Add in broccoli, yellow squash, brussel sprouts or even whip up a quick side salad to go with it. If you need a little more spice or flavor to it (or have guests coming over you want to impress), add some ground pepper to the top right before serving, and viola!